What is Singapore Cycle Safe Programme
It is a three (3) Level programme that equips cyclists with the necessary knowledge and skills needed to maneuver the cycling paths, roads and at cycling events in Singapore. During the course, the following areas are covered:
- Equipment safety checks
- Cyclist’s personal safety checks
- Cycling environment and potential hazards to look out for
- Knowledge and skills in cycle activity
Who can I contact for more information on the programme?
Singapore Cycling Federation
Andy Gabriel Png
Yeo Yi Hui
Details of Level 1 – 3 Programme Certification
At the end of the Level 1 Programme,a participant should be able to demonstrate good bike control within a traffic-free environment. Level 1 also accepts participants who want to learn how to ride a bicycle.
The fundamentals and techniques of safe cycling will be taught and students will be brought through theory and practical sessions.
Level 1 Assessment
- Ride for 10 meter without putting the foot on ground
- Ride for 10 meters and stopping at the finish line
- Ride for 10 meters and stopping anytime on the blow of a whistle
- Ride for 10 meters within 50cm width markings
At the end of the Level 2 Programme,a participant should be able to demonstrate good bike control within the Park Connector Network.
A recap of Level 1 theory and practical skills assessment prior to participants starting off within quiet park connectors or empty car parks. The progression onto shared park connectors or utilized car parks will take place when the participants can demonstrate safe and confident bike control and handling. At the end of Level 2, participants should be able to demonstrate safe cycling maneuvers on shared park connectors.
Level 2 Assessment
- Check for traffic surface / environment conditions and taking the appropriate measures
- Ride in a straight line at around 4km/hr (walking pace) for 30 seconds
- Making a U-Turn within the cycling path and demonstrating safety while doing so (checks, signal, go)
- Making a Turn within the cycling path and demonstrating safety while doing so (checks, signal, go)
- Demonstrating effective shifting of gears to suit various speed and gradient conditions (pedal forward, appropriate gear shift)
- Demonstrating correct Emergency Braking technique (early identification, preparation of potential hazards)
At the end of the Level 3 Programme,a participant should be able to demonstrate safe cycling on the roads.
Singapore Cycle Safe Level 3 focuses on developing advance-level bike handling and traffic skills. A recap of Level 1 to 2 theory and practical skills assessment is ensured before training proceeds to a quiet road and thereafter, to busier roads, as riders demonstrate their road competency skills and confidence. At the end of the course, participants should demonstrate being able to ride safely and confidently on the road.
Level 3 Assessment:
- Riding Single Hand for 10 meters while maintaining a straight line
- Riding Single Hand and looking back while maintaining a relatively straight line for 10 meters
- Demonstration of stopping effectively on hearing the blow of a whistle (body weight position, eye focus, pedal position, use of brakes)
- Demonstration of controlled skidding on hearing the blow of a whistle (body weight, eye focus, use of brakes)
- Participants to identify and make decisions on potential road hazards along road route (calls out the following; cars, traffic lights, road obstacles)